The United Nations General Assembly announced the organization of International Yoga Day within just three months of accepting Prime Minister Modi’s proposal. The first-ever World Yoga Day was celebrated in 2015.
International Yoga Day 2023
Date of International Yoga Day 2023: India is known as the birthplace of yoga. Yoga is beneficial for physical and mental health. The practice of yoga keeps the body free from diseases and provides peace to the mind. The tradition of yoga practice has been prevalent in India since the time of sages and monks.
Yoga is associated with Indian culture, and its influence is now spreading to foreign countries. Yoga gurus are credited with spreading the practice of yoga to other nations. Indian yoga gurus have created awareness about the usefulness and significance of yoga on foreign soil. Today, people around the world are incorporating yoga into their lives and making efforts to attain a healthy mind and body through the practice of yoga postures. To raise awareness about the utility of yoga for everyone, International Yoga Day is celebrated annually at the international level. However, it is also interesting to know who, when, and where the celebration of Yoga Day began. Let’s find out the history, significance, and theme of Yoga Day this year.
When Was The First Yoga Day Celebrated?
The importance of yoga has increased significantly after the COVID-19 era. People started practicing yoga to enhance their immune system and fight against infections. However, the celebration of Yoga Day at the international level began in 2015. That year marked the first-ever global celebration of Yoga Day.
History of International Yoga Day
On September 27, 2014, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi called for the celebration of Yoga Day in the United Nations General Assembly, inviting participation from all countries. The proposal by Prime Minister Modi was accepted by the UN General Assembly, and within three months, the announcement was made to organize International Yoga Day. The following year, in 2015, the world celebrated Yoga Day for the first time.
Why Is International Yoga Day celebrated on June 21?
A specific day was chosen to celebrate Yoga Day, which is June 21. There is a reason behind observing Yoga Day on this date. June 21 is the longest day of the Northern Hemisphere, known as the summer solstice.
According to Indian tradition, after the summer solstice, the sun starts moving southwards, which is considered significant for spiritual attainment. For this reason, International Yoga Day is celebrated annually on June 21 to raise awareness about the benefits of yoga for physical and mental well-being.
Theme of International Yoga Day 2023
The theme for Yoga Day 2023 is “Yoga for Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.” (Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam) means “the world is one family.” The theme emphasizes the utility of yoga for the health of all individuals on Earth.
Benefits Of Yoga
– Yoga promotes overall well-being by improving the health of both the body and mind.
– Engaging in yoga not only brings inner tranquility but also fosters a peaceful atmosphere.
– Considering the ever-changing nature of our lifestyles, incorporating yoga into our routines becomes imperative. Moreover, it can aid in coping with the challenges posed by climate change.
– Yoga enhances muscular strength and improves the overall fitness of the body.
– It helps maintain a balanced metabolism within individuals.
– By facilitating weight loss and ensuring a healthy cardiovascular system, yoga contributes to physical well-being.
– Undoubtedly, yoga plays a crucial role in alleviating prevalent health issues worldwide, fostering connections among people, facilitating meditation practices, and reducing stress.
– It combines the pursuit of personal health with the promotion of sustainable health development. Hence, regular yoga practice should be embraced as an integral part of our lives.
Also Read: Mother’s Day Quotes, Wishes, Images For 2023